Monday, May 19, 2008

Abortion debate.

The abortion debate asks whether it can be morally right to terminate a pregnancy before normal childbirth.
Some people think that abortion is always wrong. Some think that abortion is right when the mother's life is at risk. Others think that there is a range of circumstances in which abortion is morally acceptable.
What should the limit be? Is the 24 week currently in place too high or not? Although many European countries have lower limits, America is 26 weeks and Australia has no limit!
When you see the statistics shown in the adjacent pie chart, is it really a significant problem? Surely the small number of abortions that currently take place over 20 weeks represent only exceptional circumstances! Surely the mothers rights and state of mind must come first?
A recent radio program included the comments from a nurse who had been involved in abortions in the past. Here she stated the womb was pierced to induce premature birth and the next morning the fetus was passed into a kidney dish, often still alive. She was responsible for disposal after watching it die. Accounts like this certainly make you thing about the morality of such a situation.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

very controversial dave

from bambi

Middle Ditch said...

I have no answer but I can say that I am really glad that I have never been in that position. Luck I guess.

Anonymous said...

my name is teto i live in spain and have a 2 year old boy could hosay i have been reading you blog for a long time dave it is very good in topics see you soon

David John Caswell said...

Dear Monique,
I suppose you could call it luck! I think there are too many people giving their opinion from an ideological view point. Life is never that simple. What is right for one person isn't for another. Great to hear from you and am going to visit your sites right now!
Love David.

Leigh Russell said...

I'd like to see more focus on reducing irresponsible sex; better education so fewer women/girls want to have abortions. There will always be exceptions and difficult cases, extenuating circumstances and terrible chances, but all too often there is no sensible reason for an unwanted pregnancy. If you are not prepared to care for a baby and bring up a child - don't get pregnant! It's not rocket science. It's perfectly possible to have sex without conceiving. It's also possible to say "No" !

KB said...

I don't think I could ever have an abortion but I've never been in a position where I've had to consider it. So, how can I know what I would do? Thanks for visiting my blog. Don't be a stranger.

David John Caswell said...

Dear Leigh
Thanks for dropping by again. I think sex education is much better than it used to be, but doesn't necessarily either put people off having sex at a young age or getting pregnant in the first place. My daughter has just started going out with her first boyfriend and she is seventeen, nearly eighteen. So many of her friends from school have had babies in the last few years..far from being a mistake, I think it is often their choice to get pregnant! I have a really close relationship with my daughter and we can talk about anything. I think it is that and the fact that we are a really close family, that has meant she has been in no rush to have boyfriends and have sex. Children need to enjoy being children and not be in a rush to become adults. I think it is a strong family life and the relationship with your parents, that determines your likelihood to embark on 'adult' relationships at an early age.
David

David John Caswell said...

Dear kb,
Thanks for visiting and your comments. I won't be a stranger, so speak to you soon.
David

Anonymous said...

I once read a statistic that said that every year there are more abortions than there were people killed during World War II. Some may give the argument that rape victims should be permitted the freedom to have an abortion, but clearly such people would only account for the tiny fraction of abortions that occure, with most being the result of carelessness -- often by many of the same people.

In my opinion free birth control operations should be offered to abortion patients. I do not know how effective it might be, but one device often advertised on TV is simple a tiny T-shaped peice of plastic that can easily be removed later. Perhaps such a program could decrease the number of yearly abortions.